Pages

Saturday, 14 January 2017

Flexible Seating in the Upper Elementary Classroom - The Options!

This year I started using Flexible Seating in my grade 4/5 combined class. To say that I am in love with it would be a huge understatement! I am hooked on flexible seating and so are my students!
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom

The Set Up:

I have several different seating options in my room. 
  • Hooki Stools
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom

  • Stability Balls
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom

  • Stability Disks at a Low Table 

  • Pillows
  • Tipi
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom


  • Couch
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom

  • Ottomans and Coffee Table
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom

  • Normal Chairs and Desks 
    • I feel very strongly that it is still important to offer students the option of a normal chair and desk. Some kids truly prefer their own space and I always have at least two kids that choose to sit at a desk.
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom

  • The Floor With Clipboards
  • Cafe Table and Stools
flexible seating in the upper elementary classroom


So far the most popular options are the Hooki Stools and the Cafe Table. This changes based on the activity that we are completing. For instance, during reading workshop, students gravitate towards the couch, tipi, etc. However, during writing most students choose a table.

At first I was extremely intimidated by flexible seating. However, now I love it so much that I can't imagine going back to a class full of traditional chairs and desks.  

Do you incorporate any flexible seating in your classroom? 


4 comments:

  1. Did you purchase all these materials yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle ,
      Originally when I started flexible seating I purchased the couch, the Ottomans, the coffee table and some of the storage on my own. Then last year my admin gave me some money and I was able to add the hooky stools, the stability balls and the high table. I watched Amazon like a hawk for deals :) I hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Where did you get that adorable couch?

      Delete
  2. Great blog! How do you manage classroom management? How do you let the students choose their spots, can they move through out the day?

    ReplyDelete